Members belong to the Friends of Mineralogy either through one of its several regional chapters or as a national member. Most of the chapters hold or co-sponsor annual symposia.
Listed chronologically below are symposia that should be of interest to many FM members. Non-FM symposia in North America will be listed as time permits. This webpage was created in late September 2017. It will take some time to populate this page with all the meetings that have not yet happened.
2018 August 4-5
Minerals from the metallic ore deposits of the American Southwest, Berthoud Hall, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado.
The Friends of Mineralogy, Colorado Chapter; the Friends of the Colorado School of Mines Geology Museum and the Colorado School of Mines Geology Museum are sponsoring a two day symposium on the Colorado School of Mines Campus with a free field trip for registered participants, subject to forest fires and other environment closures on August 6, 2018.
Speakers and titles as of June 12, 2018
- Frontier Mining Methods (Keynote presentation) – Ed Raines
- The Eagle Mine: Colorado’s Greatest Zinc Mine and Most Prolific Mineral Specimen Producer – Ed Raines
- Minerals from the Cookes Peak base metal deposit, Luna County, New Mexico – Phil Simmons,
- Exploring mines and mineral collecting in the Magdalena mining district of New Mexico in the 1970s – Robert Hembree,
- About a polymetallic deposit, Utah (unofficial title) – Lisa Fisher,
- About minerals and mining in the Hansonburg District, Socorro Co., New Mexico (unofficial title) – Erin Delventhal,
- Minerals of the Metallic Ore Deposits of Utah – Brent Thorne,
- Mineralogy and Geology of Bisbee, Warren District, Cochise County, Arizona – Philip Persson
- Outstanding minerals of the Metallic Ore Deposits of New Mexico – Peter Modreski
- Minerals of the Torpedo-Bennett fault zone in the Organ Mountains, New Mexico – Michael Michayluk
more information can be downloaded at: http://friendsofmineralogycolorado.org/mmodas/
A registration form can be downloaded at: Symposium Registration form
2018 Dallas Mineral Collecting Symposium
The Dallas Mineral Collecting Symposium will be held August 24-26, 2018 at the Charles W. Eisemann Center, 2351 Performance Drive, across from the Renaissance Hotel, Richardson, TX 75082
Dallas Mineral Collecting Symposium 2018 speaker lineup
Alain Martaud: French Fluorite Mines and Mining
Eloise Gaillou: European Treasures in the Paris Museums
Peter Lyckberg: Kongsberg – King of Silver Mines
Bob Jones: Around the World in 80 Years
Dr. Robert Bowell: Cornwall: Mining and History
Dr. Andreas Stuckl: Swiss and Alpine Treasures
Renato Pagano: Italian Sulfurs and Sulfur Mining
Michael Rumsey: European Classics in the British Museum
More information can be found at http://www.dallassymposium.org/2018-symposium/
2018 Friends of Mineralogy, Pacific Northwest Chapter Symposium
44rd Annual Symposium, October 19-21, 2018
Minerals of California
Red Lion Inn, Kelso, WA (north of Portland, OR)
There will be more information at http://www.pnwfm.org/
2018 Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology Mining and Mineral Symposium
2nd Weekend in October 2018 Butte, MT, Field Trips and lectures
For information about the program click here.
2018 The Friends of Mineralogy, Pennsylvania Chapter Mineral Symposium
First weekend in November, 2018; Franklin and Marshall College. Lancaster, PA. Doors open 8:30 a.m.; Symposium 9:00 – 4:00, Sales by Select Dealers – Silent Auction – Give-away Table – Meet Fellow Collectors.
For more information, a flyer will be available here later:
2018 The New Mexico Mineral Symposium
39th Annual Symposium, Macey Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining & Technology, Socorro, New Mexico, 2nd weekend in November 2018. For more information contact: Dr. Virgil Lueth, firstname.lastname@example.org. There is more information at symposium